Make The Recipe!
Baja-Style Fish Tacos with Grilled Slaw and Chipotle Mayo
Prevent your screen from going dark
Makes 4 Servings 1x
Time 40 to 45 Minutes
- 1 quarter-wedge of 1 medium head green cabbage, cored
- Good-quality olive oil for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 1 / 2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 / 2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon canned chipotle chile mashed with some of its adobo, or to taste
- 1 1 / 2 pounds skinless white fish fillets
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas (or 16 if you like to double ’em up)
- Lime wedges for serving
- Start the coals or heat a gas grill for hot direct cooking. Make sure the grates are clean.
- Brush the wedge of cabbage on all sides with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt. Put on the grill directly over the fire. Close the lid and cook, turning once or twice, until grill marks develop, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board until cool enough to handle, then cut across into thin ribbons. Put in a serving bowl along with the cilantro and lime juice and sprinkle with pepper. Toss to combine; taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Put the mayonnaise and chipotle in a small serving bowl and whisk until combined; add a little salt if you like. (You can make the slaw and sauce up to a day before. Cover and refrigerate them until you’re ready to serve.)
- Pat the fish dry with paper towels. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Put the fillets on the grill directly over the fire, at an angle or perpendicular to the grate. Close the lid and cook until the bottoms brown and release easily, 3 to 7 minutes. Carefully turn the fillets, using a second spatula to keep them from breaking apart. Close the lid and cook until a skewer or thin knife inserted at the thickest point of a fillet easily pierces it all the way through, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the fish and the thickness. Transfer the fillets to a platter.
- Heat the tortillas on the grill (see page 100) and wrap in foil or a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Break the fish into large pieces and serve, passing the tortillas, slaw, mayo, and lime wedges at the table for building the tacos.