Make The Recipe!
Prevent your screen from going dark
Makes 6 servings 1x
Time about 40 minutes
- About 2 pounds baking potatoes, such as Idaho or Russet, peeled if you’d like
- 1 medium onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs or matzo meal
- Canola or other neutral oil as needed
- Grate the potatoes by hand or with the grating disk of a food processor. Drain in a colander or strainer; grate the onion. Preheat the oven to 200°F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the salt, pepper, and bread crumbs or matzo meal; stir in the potatoes and onion.
- Place a 1/8-inch layer of oil in a large, deep skillet and turn the heat to medium. When the oil is hot, drop the potato batter into it by the quarter-cup or large spoon. Cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes per pancake. Drain pancakes on paper towels and keep warm in the oven until all of them are finished. Serve hot, with sour cream and/or applesauce.
— Recipe from How to Cook Everything